Moving is stressful, there is no way around it. That’s why you need to cover as many bases as you can before the big day comes. But you can’t wait until a week before you do it, you need to start at least 8 weeks in advance.
In the 8 weeks which precedes the move, here are several things you need to look at:
- Start going through your things and decide what you want to take and what you want to keep. There will be more stuff than you realize, so you should try to throw as much stuff away as possible. You won’t miss it as much as you think.
- Start looking into who you want to do your moving. It’s OK if it’s your brother in law, but remember that there will be more work than either of you think, so it is highly advised that you hire a professional.
- Get all paperwork in order. That means anything pertaining to your children’s school
- Make a list of things you want to look into as the deadline approaches. Look at it every day, do as many things on the list as you can.
4 weeks before the move:
- You should have already decided on which company you want to do your moving. If you have not, do so as soon as possible. They book up fast, particularly at the end of the month. .
- Start your preliminary packing. That means stuff you’re sure you won’t need, but keep it on hand just in case. It will also be a good time to make further decisions on what you want to keep and what to throw away. Don’t forget to label everything
- While you are packing, keep like things together, that means valuables as well.
14 days before the move:
- Make sure that on the day of the move, that you have plenty of time to get everything done. That means scheduling at least one vacation day before the move and one after. Two days is better.
- Pack more things in order of lesser importance, label it.
7 days before the move:
- Get all essentials together, including medicines, important papers and valuables. Keep them in one place in the house if necessary. As you find important stuff, put it on the pile.
- Verify again that your mover is scheduled.
- Continue packing bit by bit
3 days before the move:
- Make arrangements to have the electricity and other utilities turned off.
- You should have everything packed by this time except for the most essentials like plates, pans, toiletries.
On the big day:
- Pack the last of the stuff. Put it on the truck last label it well because it is the first thing you will need to unpack once you get to the new place.
- Give the manifest to the mover and make sure everything is on there when they unpack.